Re: KiCad GitHub plugin opinions

Hi Seth,

We still use the plugin here internally, but not with github.  It is configurable to
simply use zip files as libraries, from any zip file URL.

When that zip file URL is on a local server, and especially on a fast disk such as a new
PCIe ssd this becomes the fastest plugin by far.  We actually run out of a ram disk on our
internal server.
The plugin can also tolerate footprint changes because it inherits from PCB_IO, giving it
an overlay union of the two data sources.  But we use those local files as a work queue
for scrutiny and shared distribution.

The speed when used locally like this is far faster than any other plugin.

You might simply just rename the plugin to the zip file plugin, it might fit better with
the most common recommended use case.  Even when we were using it with github, we always
used nginx to cache the zip files locally in a proxy server.

Evidently it is faster to load one big zip file than the hundreds of small files used by
the PCB_IO plugin.

Given that is can be disabled during compilation, I would prefer that it not be removed.
I would not object to making the default be OFF.  And lastly I think it serves as another
plugin that is likely to be a useful reference for future plugin writers.

Summary of my preferences:  would prefer it be kept, we are using it internally.  Rename
it to "zip file" plugin, default it to OFF.

Thanks,

Dick