Re: 5.1.9 tagged for release

Hell Nick,

Am 23.12.20 um 10:07 schrieb Nick Østergaard:
> Hi Carsten
>
> This is a balancing act. Quite some time ago we decided that we should
> make the release _announcement_ (on the website) when we have build
> available for some major platforms, these specifically being windows,
> ubuntu ppa and macos, mostly because that gives us some good
> "coverage" and we control those builds "ourselves".

that's of course up to the KiCad team to do such decisions. But I see no
reason why KiCad should be that exclusive. So far I've seen in the past
all the big distributions and the maintainer of the packages for KiCad
have acted quick as possible. But you need to give them some time. And
again, we have x-mas, why rushing things more than needed?

> I am not trying to exclude you as a kicad maintainer.

But this is it it looks like.
As at least one other contributor has stated, please give us the needed
time. No planned release announcement was done again on any of the ML. :-(

> By having the release announcement, it is easier to use that as a
> reference when users are flagging packages in various distros.
> Essentially we don't expect other distros to have builds ready by the
> release announcement.
Why not doing this? It has worked in the past years. It would look much
better if things would be done more coordinated.

--
Regards
Carsten