Update to Footprint/Symbol paths

Hi Folks-

There's a small change brewing to where the default symbol/footprint
libraries are installed.

Previously, KiCad had default paths for schematic symbols in
`/usr/share/kicad/library` and for footprints in
`/usr/share/kicad/modules/` (Windows users found these at
%{KICAD_PROGRAM}\share\kicad\library and
%{KICAD_PROGRAM}\share\kicad\modules)

Starting with tomorrow's nightly build, we will be installing these to
`/usr/share/kicad/symbols` for schematic symbols and
`/usr/share/kicad/footprints` for layout footprints.

I know what you are thinking.  "Why would you guys decide to name the
directories for what is actually in them?  Won't that make it easier for
new users to find things?"  Well, maybe...  The original directory names
have a lot of history and were descriptive for the original intent.  We've
standardized our nomenclature throughout KiCad in advance of v6 and the
directory structure was one of the last holdouts.

Hopefully the transition will be smooth.  If you compile locally, you will
need to update your locally installed libraries or set the PATHs variable
to point to the libraries (footprints and symbols) you currently have
installed.  Users who run from one of the packages should find their
changes to be transparent.

Seth

--
[image: KiCad Services Corporation Logo]
Seth Hillbrand

Follow ups