Re: Was the initial graphics mode screen removed?

On 1/11/22 12:31 PM, Ian McInerney wrote:
Hi Steve,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 3:47 PM Steven A. Falco <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I've opened https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/10375 <https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/10375>

    I'll be adding more info to the issue as I do more testing.  Right now, the issue just reports on visual artifacts that make accelerated graphics unusable on my desktop machine.

    I'll add info on the segfaults that I see in VMs asap.

This might already have been reported in https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/8944 <https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/8944> and fixed in the master and 6.0 branches. There is a workaround in there for v6 that you could try (it is setting an environment variable before launching KiCad).

I'll do that - thanks for the pointer.

    This stuff will no doubt take time to resolve.  The artifacts may be even harder to address than the segfaults, because I don't see how to gather data on what is causing the flickering and pad color errors as described in the issue.  I therefore respectfully recommend putting the dialog back in until the issues are resolved.

I don't think the dialog would help any in the situation you are describing with the artifacts on the screen. It was only shown on first start, so it wouldn't give the choice in future runs (which would be after you notice all the artifacts). You can change the rendering backend in the preferences pane though, so you can switch back to the fallback graphics that way.

I'm describing two situations.  One is the artifacts on my desktop, and one is the segfault on VMs.  As long as the window opens and is somewhat usable, then one can select fallback graphics easily from preferences, as you said.  The bigger problem is on the VMs where it crashes before the window gets a chance to even open.  I'll look at the issue you linked and see if that helps.  I'll also try a test build from the tip of the 6.0 branch and see how that behaves.

I'm more concerned that fallback graphics might be removed entirely at some point.  Hopefully accelerated mode will be bullet-proof before that decision is made.

	Steve

-Ian

             Steve