kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

pcb_calc - Transline: what are the models used?

Hi,

I was checking the transline calculator from KiCad and found no
documentation about the models used there. In the forums, Seth_h
pointed to a few of them:

- microstrip: H. A. Atwater, “Simplified Design Equations for
  Microstrip Line Parameters”, Microwave Journal, pp. 109-115, November
  1989 (info from
  [here](https://forum.kicad.info/t/microstrip-formulas-in-pcb-calculator/9861))
- coupled microstrip line:  “Accurate Wide-Range Design Equations for
  the Frequency-Dependent Characteristic of Parallel Coupled Microstrip
  Lines” (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/1132616/) (info
  from
  [here](https://forum.kicad.info/t/differential-pair-into-pcb-calculator/7390/5))

but in the source of this calc there are 5 references for the
microstrip, just grep ref in /pcb_calculator/transline/c_microstrip.cpp
to see them. I'm confused about it.

What are the references of the other models? I can add that to the
docs, but I don't know what are them...

Kind regards,
Heitor