kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: let's be brave and fork!

Hello Marco,

Am 06.05.20 um 11:59 schrieb Marco Ciampa:
This issue:

https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc/-/issues/773

is directly related to our lack of manpower or really to our lack of courage?

Lets fork the docs and purge the 5.* docs from 6.* new features info.

For what I see docs are already frozen and that can be a reason.

Making cherry-picks here and there between the two branches should not be
a big deal...

What do you think?

having just one branch for all the development directions can't be the right way.

Uses branches within git is easy and costs quite nothing.

Drop all non relevant branches within the Gitlab instance for kicad-doc. I see e.g. branches like dynamic_version_info, zh_po_hack, github/fork/*. I've no idea waht they are for, other users for sure also don't know why they are here.

Specify the branch structure so contributors see were they are. E.g. use master' for the documentation of the current upstream behaviour, use 'release-5.1' for the current stable release tree, once KiCad 6.0 got the final release create a new branch 'release-6.0' on top of the 'master' branch.

All contributions need to be done by direct commits of people who have commit access or by *fast-forward* merge requests.

Keep the structure clean and simple and document this.

I've lost finally the interest to work on the documentation due the above reasons. But the main reason in my eyes for the outdated documentation is the lack of people who are willing to write some bleeding edge documentation. I'm not a native English speaker, I'd be the wrong person for doing anything on this.

--
Regards
Carsten