kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: let's be brave and fork!

Hello Nick,

Am 07.05.20 um 22:40 schrieb Nick Østergaard:
Hello

I guess I am the one primarily against branching, reasoned in the fact
that there are things on master, even small things that are not
getting fixed. Having master ban translations could demotivate some,
but I think it is better as it is way easier to break translations and
demotivate translators that way. I am ok with us trying the branch
approach again, now that we have tried it without -- hopefully it will
be better, but only time will tell. Please prove that it will be
better.

I disagree mainly.

It's completely wrong in my eyes to not split off logical thing into separate branches, btw. there are only two (current stable and current devel)! If that would be the better way mostly all the software project out there would use just one branch, but that isn't the case. Gladly the times of Subversion is over!

Clearly, Jon mentions he would like to maintain master and implicitly
set himself in the (not yet existing) CODEOWNERS file. :) That would
be awesome.

It's not one person that is maintaining *one* branch. I hope there is a team behind kicad-doc intended. Jon is probably currently the only English speaking person who is interested in keep the original English documentation for KiCad up to date with the current development. There is more than the pure text that needs to get written. There are also screenshots, schemas, example projects, ...

And KiCad is growing always, so there is some kind of plan needed what parts should be done or done with more prioritize.

Who is going to maintain 5.1?

Mainly the contributors I'd say. What you mean is more what is the person who decides what's getting included and what not.

So I suggest we go with suggesting translators not to spend time on
master, as also mentioned in the notes on
https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc/-/blob/master/docs-versioning.adoc#user-content-branch-relations-working-rules-for-document

Why?
Why can't contributors also do their work on the current development of documentation if they want to do? I see no difference here to maintaining and improving some stable release branch? I highly expect that we don't cut off especially translators of from the current work that is done for the next KiCad release.

Should we ban translation updates on master completely? If so we
should probably update the CI to inform people if they accidentally
submit translated stuff for master.

Hell no!

Specifically, probably only that one section should stay and the
others are slightly wrong should be removed. This can be put in the
README for better visibility.

In reality, I have been open for a 5.1 branch for a long time, but no
one have shown interest in actually using that as an excuse to even
maintain master. See https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-doc/issues/719

Well, I did have a lot of people over time who did say they are interested in co-maintaining the KiCad packages within Debian. So far I received sometimes a second email from them but no further. ;) Writing good documentation is hard, the better the tools are you will get more contributors mostly. But in the end it's up to the contributors to do the work.

So that's how things are going. It's all a volunteer base, if people want to contribute than it's fine, otherwise nobody can be enforced to do anything.

--
Regards
Carsten