kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

The future of the Getting Started chapter

As you might know, there is a chapter in the documentation called Getting
Started in KiCad [1] which is at this point entirely out of date and does
not really cover the modern KiCad workflow.  I have seen many people point
new users at various video series or posts on the user forum as more
accurate and modern introductory tutorials.

Since the release of 6.0 is drawing near, we are trying to figure out what
to do with this chapter.  Right now, I'm just about the only person working
on updating the documentation for 6.0, and I am focused entirely on the
"reference manual" portion of the documentation.

I don't personally believe that the reference manual needs to contain a
"getting started" chapter in tutorial form, but I'm happy for it to be
there **as long as it is up to date and correct**.  Since it is not looking
possible to do that for 6.0, we are currently planning on removing this
chapter from the website and published documentation.

So, before we make this call and delete it, I wanted to check: is there
anyone who is interested in volunteering to write a new version of this
document, covering the very basics of the modern KiCad workflow using the
latest nightly builds (pre-6.0)?  I'm happy to assist with formatting and
gathering images, and we have a volunteer copy editor to make sure the
writing will fit in stylistically with the rest of the manual.  We just
need someone who is up for putting in the time to create an outline and
then write the content for it.

If nobody volunteers for this, we will remove this chapter before 6.0 is
released.  We can always add a "getting started" chapter back again in the
future if someone wants to write it later.

If you are interested, please contact me directly.  Thanks!

-Jon

[1]
https://docs.kicad.org/master/en/getting_started_in_kicad/getting_started_in_kicad.html

Follow ups