kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: current version and master branch

On 5/2/22 08:46 AM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
On Mon, May 02, 2022 at 08:30:33AM -0400, Steven A. Falco wrote:
On 5/2/22 07:37 AM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
Hi devs,
I need a clarification.
What is the master branch of the docs git repo for?

If the master branch is for the current KiCad stable implementation, then
the KiCad help hotkey should point to it, which it's not how it's
implemented now. I am asking this because I would like to see the
improvement of the doc translations connected to all the stable versions
in use now (the 6.* branch) or I would probably have to move my
translation efforts on a 6.* branch that, to my knowledge, it does not
even exist.

any feedback is welcome!

My opinion is that the branch names should be synchronized across all
of the KiCad repositories.  The Fedora build scripts expect that, and I
think it is less confusing and less error-prone overall if the branch
names match.

Agree

So, "master" should be the 7.99 development branch, and "6.0" should
                              ^^^^
                              no
                                ^^
                                Sorry, typo - I meant 6.99

be the current production branch.  But the lead devs will have the final decision.

I do not know if KiCad uses semantic versioning (https://semver.org/) but
what I do know is that they do not use even numbers for stable branches
so 5.*.* was a stable branch as will be the future 7.*.* ...