Re: Complete set of connectors

Le 19/03/2014 03:38, Carl Poirier a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> A contributor by the name of Michal Stec has sent updates to
> kicad-library. Specifically, he has sent a complete set of connectors
> from 1x1 to 2x40, made to match the fixed Pin_Arrays.pretty and
> Socket_Strips.pretty. I am wondering what would be best to do with the
> symbols. You can have a look at my suggestion here
> <https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/pull/3>.
>
> My idea is to ditch all the previous connectors for this complete set.
> I'm thinking, and if I'm wrong please explain why to me, that in a
> schematic, we would need only one set of connectors. Only the footprint
> would change to match the physical connector. The other reason I
> replaced all the old ones is because I thought they were weird a bit;
> it's like if they had an inverter on each pin.
>
> I would like to know other's thoughts on the matter, so that's why I
> only opened a pull request for now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carl

Thanks.

Removing existing components in old libs could break existing schematics
which use them, because these components will be not found after
replacing the libs.
Fortunately, there is a copy of all component in lib cache, but removing
components is not good for compatibility.
You can replace old components by new component without any problem if
pins position and number and not modified (i.e. if only the body graphic
shape is modified) but be careful when removing/changing existing
components.

Sometimes creating a new lib is better and more easy, because there is
no constraint.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS