Re: Contributing to Github Libraries

Sent this just a few seconds ago but in the wrong discussion, so I'm
sending it again here.

> Unfortunately i do not understand how to actually contribiute to any lib
component since the lib component editing is not done with a txt editor but
instead with kicad lib comp editor.
> So this is what users will want to know:
> - how to download or get the lib comp to midify (do i already have it in
kicad?) or how to generate a new lib component file to send to you
> - how to turn this new component into a patch
> - how to send it to you
> - how to get newest lib components in my kicad distro

> Best way is a 1 min video where u do it and i can describe it by txt
using google docs. Once done i ask for quick contribiutions from any
developers.
> Git anf github is for coders and i have the impression we are trying to
get kicad users to use it to make kicad lib better. Is it doable? How?
> What do u think?

Hi Fabrizio,

Contributing to the library components is done the same way. I do think git
is simple enough (compared to bzr) for contributors to use. If not, they
can still email us their changes directly.

0. fork a git repo though Github
1. git clone https://github.com/yourUsername/kicad-library
2. in eeschema, change library folder to that dir
3. Make modifications
4. git commit
5. git push
6. Create pull request.

To update the libraries on your computer, if you use this method, then it
would be a simple matter of doing "git pull".

A video is a good idea. I'll look into that.

Regards,

Carl