Re: Decoded fp-lib-table and re-organisation ideas

Hello John.

Thank you for your work.

CHK ist just a firm. http://chk-elektronik.de/

>    * Iut: Instrument under test? Just seems to be three pin
>      header-looking footprints?

Seems to be belonging to Mr. Charras? It sounds like the institute,
where Mr. Charras worked.

>  There are a couple of libraries which I don't think describe the
>  contents very well:
>
>    * PFF_PSF_PSS_Leadforms: might be better to call these "Allegro
>      Current Sensors", as these footprints seem specific to Allegro.
>      Or maybe as both this and Hall-Effect_Transducers_LEM  are pretty
>      small, merge this into a generic "Hall Effect Sensors" library?

Hall Effect Current Sensors are rare. So it might be ok to put LEM and
Allegro into one library.
But there is a difference between Hall Effect Current Sensors for
measuring a current, and simple Hall Effect Sensors which deliver a
digital 1-0 output, just to recognise the position of a magnet or coil.
Keep this in mind.

>    * Oscillators seems to contain only two Silicon Labs parts. I am not
>      very clear on the difference between this and "Oscillator-Modules",
>      and there are only 4 components between the two libraries.  Do we
>      intentionally distinguish between crystals and oscillators, and do
>      we categorise resonators as crystals?

I make a difference between Oscilator Modules and crystals, because
crystals are resonators, which can be used for oscillators, but also for
filtering. But Oscilator modules cannot used for filtering.

>    * Crystals_SMD: there are only two footprints here, can't they just
>      go into Crystals, which also has several SMD components?

For my opinion: yes.

>    * Housings_SIP9: Couldn't this be genericised to all SIP modules?

For my opinion: yes.

>    * Muonde: Microwave - from "mu" (the greek letter) and "Onde" (wave
>      in German). I got there eventually.

Maybe you are guessing right. But the german word for wave is "Welle".
"Muonde" sounds french.

>    * Mechanical_Sockets: These seem to be restricted to DIN41612
>      sockets.

Of course. This library was originated by me, and i named it
"Mechanical_Socket-Plug_DIN41612-Stuff_RevA" I do not know wether it got
renamed, but the parts are all DIN41612. I addet "mechanical" and
"stuff", because of the card guides, wich are pure mechanical without
electrical contact.

>    * Capacitors: Wouldn't most of these fit into one of Capacitors_SMD,
>      Capactitors_Tantalum_SMD, Capacitors_ThroughHole or
>      Capacitors_Elko_ThroughHole? And don't Capacitors_ThroughHole
>      and Capacitors_Elko_ThroughHole have a lot of overlap?

Tantalum is a polarised capacitor. Elko is german short for an
electrolytic capacitor, which is also polarised. So i suggest categories
polarised/non-Polarised and THT/SMD and combinations.
polarised-smd
polarised-THT
non-polarised-smd
non-polarised-THT
and, maybe, "special-capacitors" or "tunable-capacitors"

>    * Discret & Oddities: Can the contents of these be distributed into
>      the relevant other or new libraries?

Discret are not "oddities". There are mostly standard parts in.

But "oddities" was created by me for such nice things as an empty
footprint as dummy for some purposes, for "net ties" and so on.
I think "oddities" is a good name for a library containing such stuff.

With best regards: Bernd Wiebus alias dl1eic