Re: rectangular passive components

Is there any reason to have various footprints such as 0805, 0603, etc.
for every component type?

There is one rational reason for this, but not such important: Board 3D
presentation. Someone could use different models for resistors, capacitors and inductors.

BTW. I have two sets of chip element footprints. One for resistors and inductors with rectangular outline, and capacitors with rounded outline. It helps me during first time board assembly process, and when I'm programming an very old pick and place machine (used for prototypes).

If no one objects, we will go that route.

Apart from the above, I have no objection.
I'm using my own set of footprints. :)

Kerusey Karyu