Re: Some questions/ideas

Hi Thomas, hi library team!

> Hy library team,
>
> I have some points and would discuss them on the mailing list:
>
> At first, I would suggest to add LICENSE files into the .pretty
> repositories to clarify it (I'm also a little bit unsure about the
> license, but from what I see it should be GPL v2).

I agree, but as far as I remember, someone said, that .pretty repos
can contain *.kicad_mod files only.
If not, another thing to do is to move 3D-models to their footprint
.pretty repo. I makes much more sense to have them together, rather
than in symbol repo.

> Another question is about 3d-models. I already seen bunches of Models
> merged into KiCad which were clearly from the manufacture. From my
> perspective this would be a copyright infringement, because I haven't
> found a fitting permission/licence of the company which would allow this
> stuff.
> This could lead to legal issues in the future, so I would suggest to
> check this problem in detail and create treatment recommendation for the
> library team.

Yes, manufacturer's 3D-models in kicad repos could be legal issue.
Once repo LICENSE is specified, we can check manufacturer's license
for each pre-made model (future) or accept only user made models to
prevent problems.

> Now a non legal idea. What about adding contributor/author files into
> the .pretty and the schematic repository? I think they would be
> motivating for contributors and no big deal to manage.
Great idea!

> thx, Thomas
>

> --

As this is about questions and ideas, I'll add some mine.

I have some ideas about new structure format of symbol library files.
Is there any already opened discussion? (mailing list, forum,...?)
Current format causes a lot of redundant symbols, ineffective
footprint assignment and more.

Patrik
(TP: sorry for duplicity, I forgot to answer to mailing list)