Re: Some questions/ideas

Le 15/07/2016 à 18:15, Patrik Bachan a écrit :
> Hi Thomas, hi library team!

>> Hy library team,
>>
>> I have some points and would discuss them on the mailing list:
>>
>> At first, I would suggest to add LICENSE files into the .pretty
>> repositories to clarify it (I'm also a little bit unsure about the
>> license, but from what I see it should be GPL v2).

I fully agree: the libraries need a clear license.
I am not a lawyer, but I am thinking  GPL v2 (or v3) is not suitable for libraries (schematic or
footprints).
It is suitable only for code.

Perhaps a license like CC0 is more suitable.

> I agree, but as far as I remember, someone said, that .pretty repos
> can contain *.kicad_mod files only.

.pretty folders are footprint libraries before being folders.
They must contain *only* .kicad_mod files
And cannot contain 3d files, which are very large files, and certainly create issues to users who
are using online footprint files (a very bad practice, but...).

> If not, another thing to do is to move 3D-models to their footprint
> .pretty repo. I makes much more sense to have them together, rather
> than in symbol repo.
>
>> Another question is about 3d-models. I already seen bunches of Models
>> merged into KiCad which were clearly from the manufacture. From my
>> perspective this would be a copyright infringement, because I haven't
>> found a fitting permission/licence of the company which would allow this
>> stuff.
>> This could lead to legal issues in the future, so I would suggest to
>> check this problem in detail and create treatment recommendation for the
>> library team.
>
> Yes, manufacturer's 3D-models in kicad repos could be legal issue.
> Once repo LICENSE is specified, we can check manufacturer's license
> for each pre-made model (future) or accept only user made models to
> prevent problems.

Manufacturer's licenses are usually not clear, for this kind of file.
These files should be removed (should even be never uploaded on the repos)

I suggest do not upload files which do not have a clear license like CC0.

>> Now a non legal idea. What about adding contributor/author files into
>> the .pretty and the schematic repository? I think they would be
>> motivating for contributors and no big deal to manage.
> Great idea!

Avoid inside .pretty folders.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS