Re: [Kicad-developers] Future plans on the KiCad library releases?

Den 15. jan. 2018 11.16 skrev "Carsten Schoenert" <c.schoenert@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

as the packaging for Debian will change as well for the next KiCad
release I've some questions pointed to the contributors and admins of
the libraries to be able to prepare the needed package transitions as
also mentioned by Jean-Samuel.

1. Is there some release time strategy planned?
Are there any release dates planned for the newly created repositories
and what are the planes for releasing updates of these.

2. What are the planned version numbers?
As the libraries are changing regularly and these changes are
independent from some KiCad major version I guess the usage of the KiCad
version model isn't sufficient here. Most other project use here a date
as version. e.g 2018_01 or 2018-02-15

3. What are the plans for providing coherent library names and the
introducing new libraries?
In the release circle for KiCad 4 some libraries have been abandoned and
have been moved over to new libraries without a upgrade path. That had
produced some headaches for me as package maintainer due users have
complained (correctly) their projects didn't worked after the package
update. I worked around this by providing symlinks from the old library
name to the new library name if possible.
Please don't break existing user installations within one release circle!

I am also quite interested in the strategy here, for all above points.

4. What about backward compatibility of the libraries?
I don't follow the development of KiCad in a regularly way and
especially not the development of the libraries, so maybe this question
is answered in another place already. What can be done if people who
need to stay on KiCad 4 (e.g. we can't provide KiCad 5 for Debian 8
(Jessie) aka Old-Stable).

If people want to handcuff themselves by free will, they shall remember
that the key is not in their own belt.

In other words, if they want to use kicad stable 4.0.x they shall not
expect to be using the new libraries.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert