Re: RFC: Rebranding Kubuntu + KDE Frameworks 5 + Plasma Next

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Rohan Garg <rohangarg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey everyone
> So after a brief discussion with Riddell and Harald, there seems to be
> enough precedent to bring this up again.
>
> Basically, this is a RFC to rebrand our release of Kubuntu with Plasma
> Workspaces 2 and Frameworks 5 ( as and when that happens ). So instead
> of calling it Kubuntu or Kubuntu Next , we call it Awesome OS ( or
> whatever name we can decide upon ). The reason why we should do this
> are twofold :
>
> a) Kubuntu contributes more heavily to the Ubuntu brand than we get back

We see it that way, but I'm not sure Canonical does. And
Canonical/Sabdfl is the group with the lawyers.

> b) Whenever Ubuntu gets bad press, so do we, just because we have the
> 'ubuntu' substring in our brand

True, but I think as long as we remain a flavor, we have to take the
good with the bad.

> So, for our Kubuntu + KF 5 + PW 2 ISO I propose we move away from the
> Kubuntu brand and choose a new name. Once we have traction with that
> brand, we discontinue with the Kubuntu + KDE 4 ISO / Brand and switch
> over to "Awesome OS" as being a flavour of Ubuntu.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rohan Garg

I'm all for giving a great code name to our Kubuntu
Next/Timelord/AwesomeOS PPA. But that will be a codename for us and
other geeks. It is really hard to make your name a brand, and we're
*just now* getting there with Kubuntu. To abandon that brand would be
foolhardy, in my opinion.

So let the bikeshedding begin on a wonderful code name for our next
experimental release. Personally, I favor Timelord, since it will take
us to the future in a blue box. :-)

Awesome,

Valorie