Re: Request for comment on Ubuntu Community Council statement

Hi Bryan,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Bryan Lunduke <bryanlunduke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Kubuntu Community Council!
>
> After reading the official Ubuntu CC statementi --
> http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2015/05/29/community-council-statement-jonathan-riddell/
> -- I feel compelled to write an article on this.  But I'd like to get your
> thoughts before I put pen to paper.
>
> Here are four questions that I sent the Ubuntu Community Council.
>
> I'm not modifying them at all... but just sending them on to you so that you
> have an opportunity to respond to the same questions they got.
>
> This is for an article that will be published to Network World on Monday.  I
> will write this on Sunday.
>
> Questions I sent to the Ubuntu Community Council:
>
> A) In the framework section of the statement it states "Disagreements,
> social and technical, are normal, but we do not allow them to persist and
> fester".  Then, just a few lines below that, "Over the course of the next
> two and a half years Jonathan became increasingly confrontational
> in his interactions with the Community Council over these two items" which
> implies that the issues Riddell was focused on "persisted and festered".
> This implies that the Council failed in the core mission... is that an
> accurate take away?  If not... why not?
>
> B) On a similar note, further down the statement is "In the end we felt that
> Jonathan had become unreasonable and was making worst-case assumptions".
> Does the council not feel that worst-case assumptionsare acceptable after 2
> years of no resolutions?
>
> C) Are the two core issues that Riddell was raising still issues or have
> those been resolved already?
>
> D) How does this get resolved?  Where does the Ubuntu CC and Kubuntu
> community go from here?

In the last few days we have all spent a lot of time and energy on
making our position clear, and right now we would like to take a step
back from the heat to allow us all to refuel our batteries and get a
clear head.
I hope you understand if we do not comment further on the matter for
now, as we feel we have said everything that we had to say.

Since we tried to keep everything as transparent as possible, you can
find our statements online, mostly in the mailing list archives of the
following lists:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kubuntu-council/
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/

Scott has summed up our mail exchange with the Community Council in
his blog here: https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/information-exchange-between-the-ubuntu-community-council-and-the-kubuntu-council/

and several of us have commented in Google+ posts:

https://plus.google.com/s/kubuntu%20council

Personally, I commented especially on this post:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JosPoortvliet/posts/2yGYMzzEaVz asking
Mark Shuttleworth directly some questions

In the mean time, the CC has provided some more examples of
interactions with Jonathan they say they base their decision on to us.
Despite those additional informations, we still see no evidence of any
misbehavior by Jonathan. Despite our repeated requests for openness
and transparency, this additional information was not sent to our
mailing list but individually to the Kubuntu council members...

FWIW:
The Kubuntu Council is a democratically elected body (by the Kubuntu
community) with no designated leader.
Similarly, the Kubuntu community has no de facto leader, so asking
Jonathan to step down from leadership seems rather pointless.
Also, Jonathan is not a Canonical employee anymore since a few years,
when Canonical decided to not sponsor the Kubuntu flavor anymore
directly. Jonathan is currently paid by another employer independent
of Canonical or Ubuntu for his work on KDE and Kubuntu.
All of the currently active Kubuntu contributors are also direct
and/or indirect contributors (code, testing, system administration,
quality control, documentation, localization, etc.) to the upstream
projects provided by the KDE Community, and are therefore also part of
the KDE Community.

Best regards,
Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org