Re: Advert your attention to a Kubuntu Member's statement

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 02:38:55 PM cprofitt wrote:

> > > Scott:
> > >
> > > Interesting response.
> >
> > It's been pointed out to me that it wasn't a comment by Riddell you were
> > complaining about.  So oops, nevermind about that  bit of it.
> >
> > I do think you're being over sensitive.  Seriously, don't you have better
> > things to do with your day that write the Kubuntu Council mails about
> > comments on Reddit you don't like?
> >
> > Scott K
>
> Scott:
>
> I read a great deal over information that hits the planet and if it
> contains links to content in other places I usually try to read that as
> well. I took the time to write the Kubuntu Council in an effort to work
> collaboratively with them. I did so not as a member of the CC, but as an
> Ubuntu Community member. I take no personal offense to the comment on
> Reddit, but do feel that the comment adds to the ongoing tensions in the
> Ubuntu Community. In order to work as a community there must be some
> level of civility and trust in one another.
>
> You asked that Jonathan be treated like anyone else moving forward and I
> intend on doing that. I would ask that you extend the same courtesy to
> myself and any other member of the CC.
>
> I leave any action or non-action on the statement I pointed out up to
> the discretion of the Kubuntu Council.

I think you are confusing cause and effect here.  Many people feel very
strongly about Canonical licensing policies that they feel are hostile to free
software.  That's the cause.  The effect is people speaking out about it.  I
don't find it surprising at all that, given the strength of feeling on the
matter, people speak strongly.

That's not what's dividing the community.  What's dividing the community are
policies that are much broader than the need to be to protect Canonical's
legitimate business interests.

Scott K