Re: Drop PIM from the iso (default install)

Hi,

My experiences and thoughts about this topic:

1. ezgo, our distribution derived from Kubuntu, doesn't contain *any*
kdepim packages.  No telepathy-*, no Kwallet, no KMail, even no akregator,
which I preferred to pre-install in the ezgo but finally gave up because I
was forced to install akonadi and mysql-server-core at the same time.

The main reason for not pre-installing kdepim is that, being a distribution
designed for newbie users, kdepim would hugely confuse them.

The size is another major issue.

2. Though more and more people use gmail, yahoo or other on line webmail,
it doesn't mean mail clients are not necessary anymore.  On the contrary,
there are still many people "kidnapped" by Outlook, which is bound to
Microsoft Office suite.

One of the major issues we faced when migrating LibreOffice to
organizations is that, users ask us about alternatives for Outlook.  And to
be honest, there is not any solution good enough for now, no matter
Thunderbird, Sylpheed, or KMail.

I just tried KMail again not too long ago.  Setting Google IMAP accounts
didn't work at all.  The mail preview didn't show correctly.  That snub out
my wish to use KMail as an alternative solution to Outlook.

3.  For the kdepim I think the main problem is to tightly bound to akonadi
server and a huge database backend.  Akregator, KOrganizer, KWallet (I
strongly suggest to change a name to avoid users thinking it as an on line
payment agent) are all very good applications.  IMO without being bound to
akonadi and mysql-server-core they are good enough to be pre-installed in
Kubuntu.

BTW, is KDE neon now the "official" KDE distribution?

Franklin

2017年9月15日 20:52,"Clive Johnston" <clivejo@xxxxxxxxxxx>寫道:

I know this is not going to be a popular subject for some, but I feel it
does need debated.  I would like to propose dropping PIM (all of it) from
the iso (Kubuntu install medium)

Here are my reasons for doing so:

1) PIM is a system resource hog - It starts services in the background
which lead to longer waiting times to actually boot into your desktop.  We
tried to disable a lot of these services from auto-starting in Zesty and
found that our default install footprint (memory and speed getting to
desktop) was greatly reduced.

2) Majority of people don't actually use it - I am definitely in the
minority of Kubuntu users who actually do use PIM features, and I love it.
However, most users do not use it but are having it installed by default.
This means that they will then have to keep it updated, unless they
physically remove it.

3) iso size - PIM is a bit of a beast and is quite big size wise (when you
consider all the dependencies).  Dropping it off the iso would make the
total iso size smaller and will also make installation a bit quicker as
hundreds of extra packages won't have to be installed.

4) Upgrade overhead - Every-time a Kubuntu user does an upgrade, PIM will
need to be upgraded too.  For those on slower internet connections (like
myself) this can be slow and frustrating.  This is even more annoying if
you don't even use the PIM suite!

5) KDE neon don't install it by default - The official KDE distribution
don't install it by default.  Probably due to the resource hogging as
described above.

6) Any part of the suite can easily be installed via Discover, Muon or
Konsole by those who actually do want it.  In my opinion opting in is more
in line with Freedoms of open source software rather than opting out (just
personal opinion).

I'm interested in other opinions and a debate on the issue, so please reply
to this thread.

Clive