Minutes from 'Growing our Community, and Onboarding new people' meeting

Attendees: Clivejo, Valoriez, acheronuk, sick_rimmit

The council discussed the following

*1 - How do we reach out to the community currently ?*

ML, IRC, Ubuntu Forum, ( The Forums don't work well for Kubuntu, the
community there can be rude. Not worth investing

Social Media - need to recruit people who like it. Facebook page is pretty
awful, folks ask support but no one responds. Google+, Twitter ?????

This needs a dedicated socialmedia team - Quest - Social Mdeia research
team, to invite group owners to a subsequent Cafe..

Telegram / Chat things - Valorie is testing Matrix along with the KDE -
Purism Phone will be using Matrix.

As Matrix is directly bridged to Freenode IRC, this makes it a very
pursuavive tool -Council are encourage to experiment with this, and provide
feedback.

We concluded that rationalising our channels, and making the most effort to
bring disparate groups into the primary channels is the way forward. Those
channels are in order of preference.

1 - Mailing List
2 - IRC ( Internet Relay Chat )
3 - Kubuntuforums.net

Organise Website dedicated meeting, Gathering input from OnAir - Promote
this as an community event far and wide, and then arrange a secondary
meeting to discuss this input - Going to need a secreatary. -> RT

Items to discuss - Matrix - webchat.freenode.net

*2 - How do we attract new community members ?*

We realised that addressing the points in 1, would reduce the number of
channels and make it clearer and easier for newcomers to find the main
heart of the Kubuntu community. Fostering the correct attitudes and
approaches from the existing community by targetting the most positive
channels we can find, also encourages and welcomes new members.

*3 - How do we become sticky, so that new people want to stay with us ?*

IRC users very often join the channel and then leave... the more people are
around to answer questions, the easier and better it gets. New users
struggle with IRC, and they very often don't know what it is used for.

Onboarding - The contribute page should be central to this, so that when
they arrive it appeals to them in the sense of "What sounds interesting to
you ? " - Identifying Organisational Roles ( Web Author, Video Editor,
Social Media Guru, Marketer, Administrator, Developer, Documentor,
Reviewer, Tester, ) - These roles need to be quite narrow, and clearly
defined. Work groups -: Developers, Administration, Marketing, Support,
Community.

*AOB - Nothing more to add*

Follow ups