Re: Suggestion to switch to Matrix as the official primary chat platform for Kubuntu?

Time appropriate greeting Aaron

Thank you for your email to the Kubuntu Council. The primary channel for
communication for Kubuntu is IRC, and has proved a staple for many years.
We have bridges to Telegram, and also an integration on kubuntu.org.

However, recently Simon Quigley, Aaron Honeycutt and myself have
experimented with Matrix. Similarly to you, I personally had a Matrix
account on matrix.org for a few years, but have used it rarely. I recently
created @rick-timmis:ubuntu.com which matches nicely to my Launchpad
account, and with some help from Simon created a Kubuntu Space and three
rooms [Kubuntu Development, Kubuntu Discussion and Kubuntu Support] these
rooms are pretty quiet at present.

A quick check on IRC as I write shows that #kubuntu has around 100 users
signed in, #kubuntu-devel around 50. You mentioned an IRC Bridge, and I
believe this would be an important component of any migration.

My view as a Kubuntu Councillor is that Matrix does offer modern features,
beyond the text chat of IRC, and I see these as valuable features for
developing our community. I am committed to being available and active in
the Matrix Kubuntu Space and Rooms

I look forward to the views of my fellow councillors

Best Wishes
Rick