Re: PROPOSAL: Release Manager Rotation

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 17:10 +0100, Graham Binns wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:04:41AM -0600, Joey Stanford wrote:
> > Works for me.
> >
> > There is a doc already describing the tasks...
>
> Julian raises a good point though. The key to a good release manager
> isn't just that they're able to follow the guidelines for a standard
> trouble-free release, it's that they're also capable of handling matters
> when everything goes wrong. Last release wasn't exactly all fun and
> games, but because Bjorn is an old hand at Launchpad and dealing with
> its troubles he was able to handle it. Someone less experienced might
> have struggled. We have an excellent team of LOSAs who can help and can
> give guidance, but the RM is the guy at the sharp end (assuming that one
> of Kiko, Francis or Bjorn isn't around) and needs to be able to make
> decisions without worrying about everything buggering up.

We appear in this thread to be confusing two related but quite separate
issues.
1. is releasing a bunch of code at a given version

2. is updating a highly complex, live production system across multiple
servers: Coordinating h/w upgrades; kernel patches; database
upgrades/patches; managing users' expectations, and fitting in with
their schedules; minimising outages etc etc etc... and - oh yes - using
the latest version of the aforementioned code :-)

Basically it boils down to:
Does the Release Manager wear the responsibility - and corresponding
authority - to stop a roll-out to the production system, because, for
example, some branches aren't tested.

Will they also accept the ultimate blame - buck stops here - for
failures in the release?

If not, then why not?

Release Manager is not just a pretty hat to wear, it's a real
responsibility with serious consequences associated with getting it
wrong.

.... and no rewards for getting it right. ;-)

Cheers!
- Steve