Re: PROPOSAL: Release Manager Rotation

On Jul 22, 2009, at 12:56 , Graham Binns wrote:

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:41:00PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Jul 22, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Joey Stanford wrote:

- A fallback process for when things go wrong. This could be as
simple
 as saying "the backup RM for this release is (Francis|Kiko)."

Another option is the way I learned:  Be the deputy RM for a few
cycles.  Under the watchful eye of the RM, act as if you are the RM
(akin to the co-pilot flying the plane under the eye of the Captain).
The benefit to the RM is that there is an extra pair of eyes and
someone to partner with. The benefit of the deputy role is learning
experience.

This has worked well for me, on both sides of the aisle. Most recently,
I mentored a new Python release manager and that transition went very
well. It was also quite humbling when I finally met him and he turned out to be in high school (and had to have his mom drive him to the Python
conference!).

This idea works for me. Just as long as there's a safety net.

This plan sounds sane to me. I share Julian's concerns but think the pool can be carefully expanded outside of the team leads.

--Brad