Re: Guiding people on their first visit to dev.launchpad.net

Matthew Revell <matthew.revell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I've popped an "I want to..." table on the help wiki front page:
> https://help.launchpad.net/
> Any thoughts?

Yeah: that I really like it!

We do something like that on dev.launchpad.net.  I'm doing some wiki
work tomorrow (Monday) anyway; I'll have a look.

But, we do want to be careful and not just copy the technique raw.  One
important difference between help.l.n and dev.l.n is that with help, a
user might really just want to dive in and learn all about, say, bug
tracking while totally ignoring code hosting, or vice versa.  But with
dev, there's an ordering: you pretty much have to get the code before
you can build it, build it before you can patch it, patch it before you
submit the patch, etc.  If we don't take that ordering into account,
we'll just confuse people.

But basically, I think that table rocks, yeah.  Let's try to have
something like that in the dev wiki.

-Karl