Re: RFC NavigationMenu primer

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Curtis Hovey<curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Given that we will be working with navigation menus more than we first
> planned, and that we are using them in new ways, I think we may want to
> update our UI 3.0 page.
>
>    https://dev.launchpad.net/VersionThreeDotO/UI/Conversion
>
> Is the following helpful?
>
> =======================
> Adding a NavigationMenu
> -----------------------
>
> Launchpad uses NavigationMenus to associate outbound links to a view.
> The menu and view are bound together by a marker interface. Links that
> are used in more than one menu should be defined in a mixin class to
> ensure that there is a single canonical definition of them.
>
> The menu can be rendered as an action menu in the side portlets or as a
> list of related pages in the main content.
>

> Working with two menus
> ----------------------
>
> There are a few cases where a page may need two menus. One for actions
> that change an object that are not possible to move into the main content,
> the other for pages related to the content of the page. NavigationMenus
> can be created for content objects and views.

What is the deciding factor for whether an action can be placed in the
main content? Is the Related Pages menu supposed to be in the main
content or the sidebar? Can you provide an example of the contents of
the two menus for an overview page, an edit page, and a bugs page for
a single object?

-Edwin