Re: RFC NavigationMenu primer

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:08:57AM +0200, Michael Nelson wrote:
> > Mostly agreeing but elaborating on Curtis' answer since he didn't
> > actually provide any examples <wink> I think the decision of where to
> > put a link is actually pretty easy if the idea behind the actions menu
> > is "links in the actions menu are all the links that manipulate
> > something that isn't intuitively identifiable on the page." The page
>
> Yes, that definition makes sense, I'm just not sure if you're implying
> something different from "The link must modify the context". So, to
> point out the ambiguity in my understanding of your sentence above:
>
> "links in the actions menu are all links that manipulate something -
> possibly on the context object, possibly something related to the
> context object - that isn't intuitively identifiable on the page"?

Oh, you're right. And your sentence there is clearer than mine -- indeed
the links there might not modify the object or something related to it,
but perform an action with it, or render a different view for it. I
think the examples I gave are actually the easiest way to understand
what I mean, but Occam's razor here is "was this link placed randomly on
the page content for lack of a better place?". No randomly placed links
in 3.0.

> >     Pristine bug, just reported
> >
> >         Actions Menu
> >             - Mark bug as duplicate
> >             - Convert bug to question
> >             - Mentor someone to fix this bug
> >             - View bug activity log
> >                 (as I think the current location is random)
>
> Sure, the current location might be random, but how does this link in
> the actions menu modify the context? This one would fit in to the
> 'Related pages menu' though right?

Well, maybe. I'm not sure. As an end-user, would you expect to see the
activity log as a "related page" or an action? Note that the menu
doesn't actually say "actions menu"!

> >             - Forward this bug via email (yes, non-implemented feature)
>
> And again, I don't see how this could be considered to be updating the
> context object? So this type of link is interesting - and get to the
> point of my confusion - it is a link for an action that does not modify
> the context. So, as I understand it, it does not belong in the actions
> menu, nor can it go in the "Related pages" menu. So is this the kind of
> link (could be styled as a button) that must go in the main content area?

I'm saying that it should go into the actions menu, even though it
doesn't modify or update anything. This is why I said I mostly agreed
with Curtis; I think his definition is just a subset of the correct one.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko