Re: Free Software Project Hosting (a comparison of different options)

On 09-08-09 04:29 PM, Tom Berger wrote:
http://changelog.complete.org/archives/1123-free-software-project-hosting

The author is surveying several "project hosting" solutions.

Launchpad does let you “import” branches from another VCS such as Git
or svn. I set up an “import” branch for a test project yesterday. 12
hours later, it still hasn’t imported anything; it’s just sitting at
“pending review.” I have no idea if it ever will, or why setting up a
bzr branch requires no review but a git branch requires review. So I
am unable to test the integration between it and the changesets, which
is really annoying.

So, some possibilities here, but the bzr-only thing really bugs me.
And having to have my git trees reviewed really goes against the
“quick and simple” project setup that I would have preferred to see.

That's a pity - our current policy is to automatically approve git source imports, since we can safely assume that they will work.

(Note that we review CVS and SVN imports because they often do *not* work out of the box.)

Can we change the vcs-import code so that it automatically approves Git imports? It would improve the user experience.

Maris