Free Software Project Hosting (a comparison of different options)

http://changelog.complete.org/archives/1123-free-software-project-hosting

The author is surveying several "project hosting" solutions.

Launchpad is the project management service operated by Canonical, the
company behind Ubuntu. While Launchpad can optionally integrate well
with Ubuntu, that isn’t required, so non-developers like me can work
with it fine.

Launchpad does offer issue tracking, but no wiki. It has a forum of
sorts though (the “Answers” section). It has some other features, such
as blueprints, that would likely only be useful for projects larger
than the ones I would plan to use it for.

It does have a downloads area, and they say they have a Python API. I
haven’t checked it out, but if it supports scriptable uploads, that
would work for me.

Besides the lack of a wiki, Launchpad is also tied to the bzr VCS. bzr
was one of the early players in DVCS, written as a better-designed
successor to tla/Arch and baz, but has no compelling features over Git
or Mercurial for me today. I have no intention of switching to or
using it any time soon.

Launchpad does let you “import” branches from another VCS such as Git
or svn. I set up an “import” branch for a test project yesterday. 12
hours later, it still hasn’t imported anything; it’s just sitting at
“pending review.” I have no idea if it ever will, or why setting up a
bzr branch requires no review but a git branch requires review. So I
am unable to test the integration between it and the changesets, which
is really annoying.

So, some possibilities here, but the bzr-only thing really bugs me.
And having to have my git trees reviewed really goes against the
“quick and simple” project setup that I would have preferred to see.