Re: [RFC] Build branch to archive

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Julian
Edwards<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 10 August 2009 04:50:42 Celso Providelo wrote:
>> What do you guys think  about this ?
>
> We had a quick phone chat about this earlier and I think it's the right
> direction.  I have a nagging feeling that something is waiting to trip us up
> somewhere, but maybe that's being too pessimistic!

Ehe, if there is anything I'm sure we will fix it :-)

> Also, +1 on BuildQueue -> BuilderQueue.

Cool!

> Jono or James, how long does "bzr builddeb" take roughly?  Is it roughly
> constant across packages or is there a notable difference?  My concern is that
> we'll need more builders but if the job is quick enough we might not notice
> them running.

That's where the magic of sharing the existing builders come, if it
gets overloaded with branchjobs we can simple add more machines to the
game when we notice they are needed. Considering that building source
packages is essentially lighter than building binaries, I don't think
they will cause a load that we cannot manage, even if there is some
variation according the branch/source size.

Building branches will also generate more load on the lp smartserver
... which also brings the authentication topic to mind. Are we going
to build private branches ? Similarly to what we do for building P3A
sources we should restrict the access given to builders when dealing
with private branches, since `debian/rules` contains arbitrary code.

--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
IRC: cprov,  Jabber: cprov@xxxxxxxxxx, Skype: cprovidelo