Re: Launchpad needs a system status page

2009/8/14 Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Launchpad desperately needs a web page describing the system status.
> If it's down, people need to know whether we know this and whether
> we're working on it.

I agree. We have this somewhat ancient blueprint:

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+spec/system-status-page

> I think the cheapest thing that could possibly work is to
>
> 1- make a page help.l.n/SystemStatus
>
> 2- link to it from the help.l.n top page
>
> We can do these right now if people will commit to keep them up to date.

I think that's the hard part. A manually updated system status page
could quickly become inaccurate. Can't we automate it somehow?

> And, maybe later
>
> 3- link to this from the oops page and the proxy error page

I wonder, also, if we might want to host it on a server completely
unrelated to LP. ISPs and web hosts often have an off-site status page
because, in some cases, what's taking everything else down may affect
the status page.

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting