Re: Branch merge proposal spread

On 08/20/2009 06:37 PM, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> Congrats to Ubunet! So we're still #1, but I'm interested in hearing
> suggestions on how to ramp up others -- I'd be a happy camper if Ubuntu
> was up there instead <wink>

This is neat! If you add in the other projects that are the same team,
like giving launchpad credit for lazr-js, lazr.restful, launchpadlib,
and ubunet credit for ubuntuone-client, desktopcouch, and
ubuntuone-storage-protocol, both launchpad and ubunet are right around
2K each.

When I was at the Ubuntu Platform sprint in Dublin a couple of weeks
back, Ken VanDine was telling a few people about the way we use merge
proposals in launchpad, and most people didn't know how they could be
used. It surprised me, because I assume everyone knows how launchpad
works, but they don't. I think the code review system in launchpad is
one of the coolest things ever - they pull together all the other
awesome foundational work to make a really highly productive workflow.

What would be handy for me evangelizing launchpad code review is a
screencast showing the workflow of proposing a branch for review, doing
a review asking for a change, then approving the branch, and finally
landing it using tarmac. I think a lot of people's eyes would light up
if they saw how that all worked. Actually, if it all fit into 5 minutes,
 it would be a great thing to be able to show off during lightning talk
sessions at various conferences.

But thats just for getting normal people to use it. If you want to get
Ubuntu on the top of that list, the single biggest thing that will cause
Ubuntu developers to start using merge proposals will be getting
packages built when you merge a branch into a source package branch.
*everyone* will start using merge proposals then, both for their PPAs
and for official ubuntu packages.
--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/