Re: Branch merge proposal spread

2009/8/26 Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> The question seems to be: what could Launchpad do better here, without
>> requiring strong AI to interpret the comments.  Perhaps just asking
>> the human, after each comment, "now what's the overall state of the
>> discussion?" by putting the status in the comment field not
>> separately?
>
> Well, I don't see how the current system couldn't handle this -- if the
> second reviewer finds a big problem with the patch, he would just have
> to flip back the original review back to needs-review and that would be
> it.

Right, that's what we do at present.  I'm just suggesting tweaking the
ui to encourage this a bit more.

I do think we should be open to something larger that would require a
conceptual or model change, but I can't think of anything better.

> I agree that more tightly integrating the MP code review with bugs is a
> great idea, but I definitely think we do much better than Bugzilla in
> keeping code review comments separate from bug comments. The first thing
> I'd do to help improve the situation is to make the reviews on the
> MP clear from the bug page itself:
>
>    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/soyuz/+bug/419147
>
> We could have something like:
>
>    Related branches
>        _lp:~julian-edwards/launchpad/dsp-changelog-bug-419147_
>            In Progress: 2 reviews, 1 abstain (_diff_)
>
> Note the In Progress; what the hell does Development mean? ;-)

I said the other day on the Bazaar list that mps actually make the In
Progress and Fix Committed states semi-obsolete.  If there's a mp or
branch attached that's actually more interesting information, and in
say <https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+milestone/2.0> I'd rather see the
Status column tell me: "there's a branch and it needs review" or
"needs fixes" or "needs to be landed".  (Obviously there can be work
outside of the context of an mp, for example if people are thinking
before coding(!!) so you can't delete them entirely.)

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>