Re: please don't "bzr merge <trunk>; bzr push <trunk>" to land your changes

On Aug 26, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Michael Hudson wrote:

This may count as a bzr wart, but I've noticed a few times that the
revno of lp-dev-utils trunk flapping all over the place, probably
because people are getting their changes into trunk by pushing from
their branch (possibly after merging trunk) directly into trunk, rather
than merging into a local copy of trunk, committing, and pushing that.

Please stop doing this.

There are two main reasons, IMHO:

1) It makes the revno of lp-dev-utils trunk you are running a much less
useful piece of information.

2) It means that you end up with "merge from trunk" in 'bzr log' rather
than a nice neat listing of the motivations for the changes to trunk.

I've just set the 'append_revisions_only' property on the
lp:~launchpad/lp-dev-utils/trunk, which should make bzr refuse to push a
feature branch over a trunk branch (well, to be specific, when the tip
of the pushed-to branch is not in the lefthand ancestry of the branch
you are pushing).

Thanks Michael. I've been guilty of this here and elsewhere. How do we set that property for other branches?

Gary