Re: cleaning out sourcecode on devpad

On Sep 1, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Gary Poster wrote:

On Sep 1, 2009, at 3:09 PM, Tom Haddon wrote:

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 14:34 -0400, Karl Fogel wrote:
Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
But Tom, does touching devpad affect production too?  If so, does
someone know if production is using storm from sourcecode or a tgz?

Tom can give an authoritative answer about production, but we are
*supposed* to have no devpad dependencies in Launchpad proper now. If
we have any, it's a bug.

Do you mean I can remove all sourcecode directories? This isn't
something I was aware of, but would be more than happy to if it can be
confirmed.

Karl is referring to how we build our developer instances. We don't use devpad for that. We do use devpad for production.

I'm pretty sure removing sourcecode directories generally would be a bad idea unless we replace our current rsync mechanism for production with some machinery mirroring what we do for devs. That might be a good idea in the medium or long term, but for now I'd advocate sticking with the current machinery.

My original email was sent out a while ago, by the way. Tom verified at the time that touching devpad does not affect production, IIRC.

Gaa.  I was still unclear.  Let's try again.

- we have directories in sourcecode that we still care about.

- developers update those via lauchpad/bzr.

- deployment uses devpad.

- maybe we should unify how we get those directories at some point. it is probably not a priority for now.

- there are no (longer any) plans to entirely get rid of sourcecode. If nothing else, we'll need it for signon and shipit, going forward.

Gary