Re: Today's project page review

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 12:34 -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> Was taking a look at https://edge.launchpad.net/lilregcleaner and had a
> few bits of feedback to give on the project page; perhaps these are
> small enough bits that we can address pre-3.0. Here goes:
>
>     - First, WOW! This page looks really good! I'm happy to see the
>       results of the design cycles we did on it.
>
>     - A few improvements related to the downloads section:
>
>         * The links are downloaded, and they shouldn't be.

I do not understand this point.

>         * The font for the files is too big, which leads to them being
>           super-truncated. I think the middle of the filename could be
>           truncated when too long (Little_[...]_3.0.tgz).

I saw Julian working on this. I want to make this happen for all uses of
this portlet. yes, the font is too big.

>         * The downloads are for a single release, but it doesn't say
>           anywhere what release it is for! One way to render it would be
>           with the the "released on" text, such as
>
>             for version 1.3.3, released on 2009-07-30

+1

>           I'm pretty sure that will wrap; maybe the right way to handle
>           this is to use two separate lines, maybe the right way to
>           handle it is to put the version at the top:
>
>             Downloads
>             (for version 1.3.3)
>             .---------------------.
>             |                     |
>             '---------------------'
>             .---------------------.
>             |                     |
>             '---------------------'
>             .---------------------.
>             |                     |
>             '---------------------'
>             released on 2009-07-30
>
>         * When there are no downloads, the section looks a bit wonky:
>
>             https://edge.launchpad.net/libindicate
>
>           I wonder if the right solution to this problem is to say "No
>           downloads registered" and "No releases registered" to
>           non-owners, and "Add release" and "Add download files" to
>           owners. Or if we should just omit the section.

I really do not want to omit the section. If I do, users will reopen or
report new bugs that they searched in vain for downloads that do not
exist. We need to state that there are no releases.

>     - The FAQs section says "List all FAQs" but the others say "All
>       questions", etc.

Yes. I noted this in branch I landed yesterday, but only after I
submitted it. I will fix it.

>     - The Series and milestones graph looks much better, and I'm happy
>       that the spacing and ordering works well enough, but the legend
>       "trunk" is at the beginning of the graph and that gets truncated
>       in the default rendering.

>       It appears we're defaulting the graph to showing centralized; why
>       don't we show it by default right-aligned, so the latest versions
>       appear there?

This is my understanding of the how the timeline is rendered. It clearly
is not in this example.

>       We had considered for projects with lots of series, like bzr,
>       rendering a taller viewport for it. Does that still make sense?

This may not be easy since we do not want to introduce access whitespace
under the information portlet.

>     - The project title is repeated. Not only that, but it is also
>       editable in one place, but not in the other, and when you update
>       it, it doesn't update the second instance.

This is a known issue.

>       How to solve this is an interesting problem; perhaps the right way
>       is to allow the actual top-level title to be editable when the
>       content is editable, and have a customized callback hook per
>       content-object.
>
>       (The project display name still exists. Does that still need to
>       exist?)

barry, beuno, salgado, noodles, and myself have been discussing how to
solve this. Barry has started a branch address all the issues we have
discovered.

>     - The Get Involved section buttons are almost there but not exactly
>       there yet:
>
>         * The underlining is a bit distracting; if you think
>           highlighting the whole row in gray works, let's do that.
>
>         * There is a horizontal line after the last item, which we
>           should omit.
>
>         * I think the font of the heading of that section is a bit too
>           large, and the background being white seems to imply to me
>           it's also a link, where it's actually a heading.

There is only one heading size for the side portlets. They all must
change in this case.

>     - When an announcement is truncated, I kind of miss a [more] link at
>       the end of the ellipsis. Is that not standard, or do we have a
>       standard?

We can revisit this, the <more> link looked like clutter, and on the
announcement listing, it is an offsite like I think. We need better
clarity.

> Good work!

Thanks. This gets easier and better with each page we adapt because we
discover refinements to the rules.

--
__Curtis C. Hovey_________
http://launchpad.net/