Re: RFC: Bug page 3.0 redesign

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Tom Berger<tom.berger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The bug page will be redesigned for 3.0 to make it easier to work
> with. Unlike other pages, the redesign is pretty light - the template
> changes to the new two column style, but most elements stay where you
> know them. Things to note:
>
> * Bug-related information (secrecy, me too) is moved into the
> right-hand side, just below the affects table. This should make this
> information stand out better.

Secrecy was already on the right-hand side, but above the affects
table. What's the thinking behind moving it below the affects table?
Is it at all possible to allow it to be side-by-side with the affects
table?

These aren't necessarily recommendations, just questions :)

That's said, it's important to have a universal location for the
secrecy information, since it's common to so many objects.

> * All bug-related actions are now on the right hand side. That should
> make them easier to find.

Hell yes.

> * The search portlet is gone. People can use the common search box or
> go up one level for an advanced search.

That's fine by me.

> * The description, activity items, comments and comment input are
> nicely aligned.

Yeah, that's nice.

Will we be using the same font for description and comment again?

> * CVE references float to the right of the branch links. They are
> quite rare and where they are now they steal too much vertical space.

Presumably they are displayed only if they exist?

> * The link to the original description floats to the right of the tags.
>
> Any thoughts?

Yes. In addition to the ones above, even.

  * "Report another bug" is missing from this page. I think it's
important for two separate use cases. One is "This is not the bug I
was looking for", which often[1] happens when a Launchpad bug is found
via a link or a google search. The other is when you are a developer
working on some code and you find that you are being compelled to file
bug after bug to avoid yak shaving.

  * With the page looking so clean, "Activity Log" stands out. What's it for?

  * The "Related branches" section also feels a bit out of place. It's
not clear what I'm supposed to do with them or why they are being
shown. Would it be possible to link to merge proposals if they exist,
or provide controls for creating a merge proposal? Maybe something to
talk about w/ thumper.

  * There are a lot of pen icons.

  * Is the workflow still the same for bug task editing?

  * If we had a "Find possible duplicates of this bug" feature, where
would it go?

I'm very excited that this page is getting some love. Thanks for the mockup.

jml

[1] Probably, I have no actual data on this.