Re: RFC: Bug page 3.0 redesign

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:59:55 +0100
Tom Berger <tom.berger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2009/9/8 Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On for example
> > <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/392355> there are two
> > screenfuls of people 'also notified', many of whom I've never heard of
> > and don't care about.  I am sometimes interested in who's specifically
> > shown interest in the bug by subscribing but I don't think I've ever
> > cared about the 'also notified' list.  So it seems like a waste of
> > space.  If it's really needed, maybe it can be behind a disclosure
> > triangle.
>
> If we already require the user to click to show the list, we could
> think of many ways to display it (a popup, a new page). The reason the
> list of subscribers (direct and indirect) is there is so that you know
> who is going to receive an email when you change something. I think
> that's very important information, but it may be possible to find a
> better way to display it.

The subscriber list is important information, but it's not actually
useful most of the time, in my experience anyway. I don't know what
the majority do, but I almost never refer to the subscriber list, and
my eyes only wander to that part of the page when I want to subscribe
or unsubscribe.

The subscriber list could instead show only subscriptions pertinent to
the user, like their own subscription and subscriptions of teams they
are a member of. A "Show all subscribers" link would trigger an
in-page load of the full list.

> >  CVE security vulnerability: ______ {/}
>
> I rather not do that, because it will take more space, and will be
> even more difficult to find (as you will usually have to scroll). I
> also don't think it's necessary to explain what CVE is - very few
> people work with the CVE database, and they always know what it means.

Would a tooltip be enough?

> > I would think about putting the bug number just before the summary,
> > rather than after it, and making that bug number be a link to the
> > short form url for the bug (https://launchpad.net/bugs/1234) so that
> > people can easily drag it.
>
> OK, that's a good idea. I haven't thought of that use case when I moved it.

We once linkified the bug number in the page, and didn't leave an
unlinkified bug number anywhere. This upset the workflow of some heavy
Launchpad users who had become used to double-clicking on the bug
number to put it into the clipboard. After I heard that, I started
doing it too. So, if we linkify the number for drag-and-drop users, we
should remember to retain an unadorned bug number somewhere prominent.