Re: Using reStructured Text instead of moin syntax in the wiki?

On Sep 15, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Karl Fogel wrote:

This is unrealistic. "Opportunistic" is just a polite way of saying "We don't know how long it will take." For an indefinite amount of time, we would have two syntaxes in our wiki, and everyone who works on the wiki regularly would need to know both of them -- because people who hit Edit
to make a quick tweak are not going to say "Oh, and I guess while I'm
here I'll just convert the entire page to a new syntax."

"Opportunistic" is really a polite way of saying "we want to do this, but it's really not mission critical, so we're not going to divert resources away from more important work to do it, but if you feel motivated you'll get brownie points and e-beer and your life will be filled with unicorns and kittens."

It's an easier task because as mentioned earlier we essentially only (currently) use header syntax, but I do (maybe 50% of the time) make the effort to reST-ify our doctests when I'm in there fixing other things in the file.

 1) Find or write a converter.
 2) Live with two syntaxes in the wiki for a long time (yuck).
 3) Stick with moin (manually converting the few reST pages is easy).
 4) Organize a massively parallel human effort to convert all the moin
    pages.  I don't see how we'd justify that, though.

As Francis points out, and perhaps as icky as it is, I think #2 is the most practical solution. So maybe my "encouragement" was too strong, but I still think it should be possible and allowed to write moin and rest in the public Launchpad wikis.

-Barry