Re: Using reStructured Text instead of moin syntax in the wiki?

On September 15, 2009, Henning Eggers wrote:
> Am 14.09.2009 01:37, Barry Warsaw schrieb:
> >>
> >> This is actually a big change, and we should think about it carefully.
> >> Some questions (terseness does not mean I'm hostile to the change):
> >
> > Note that several months ago, we decided to convert all of our doctests
> > from moin to rest.  We do this opportunistically so we still have a mix
> > of pages, but there's a standing rs= approval for moin->rest conversion.
>
> To second Barry here, I remember very clearly that it was discussed and
> agreed to switch to reSt, I just don't remember where and when (was it
> at the Epic, even?). At the time I knew neither syntax well so I did not
> enter the discussion but to me the decision seemed to be pretty clear
> and unchallenged.
>
> I am *very* surprised that everybody is now so surprised at the change
> which to me is just the logical consequence of a decision that was made
> some time ago. What went wrong here? Why does nobody remember that
> switching from Moin to reSt was agreed upon?

Let's clarify things a little.

The decision was to move (back) to ReST for our documentation file and
doctests.

There was never a decision to use ReST on the wiki. During the discussion on
the doctest, there were concerns on the fact that the wiki would use another
format. And that it would be nice if the wiki could support ReST.

So the only consensus we have is in using ReSt inside our packages to write
documentation and doctests.

I think it's fine that the wiki supports ReST, that makes it easier to publish
on the wiki some of our documents. But the fact that the rest of the
Ubuntu/Canonical world is using Moin for the wiki is going to stick and it
probably makes sense to continue using that.

Personally, I don't care about learning two syntax, some may disagree. But
unless we want to go on a campagin to make the Ubuntu/Canonical wiki world
switch to ReST, I think we should just learn the two syntax. There are two
standards, let's practice them.

ReST -> code, documentation, Python World
Moin -> Ubuntu/Canonical wiki world

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx