Re: BuildEngineer and ReleaseManagerRotation

On September 18, 2009, Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:06:48AM +1200, Michael Hudson wrote:
> > Michael Hudson wrote:

> > > Dunno, it's a wiki, so it would be unnatural if it wasn't random and
> > > inconsistent?

> > > I think it's going pretty well.  The role is quite stressful in some
> > > ways, with lots of things that take far longer than you'd think and
> > > fighting with systems that no-one really understands any more.
> >
> > Oh, I guess I should say that I find this part of the role:
> >
> >  * Monitor the buildbot and ensure smooth operation of builds.
> >    o This means monitoring the builders and making sure that somebody is
> >      assigned to fixing any build failures or errors as they arise.
> >
> > to be perhaps not be the greatest idea, mostly because build failures
> > need to be fixed *now*, not when the build engineer wakes up,
>
> When reading the point above, I don't think it says that the build
> engineer should fix build failures. It's more like monitoring the build
> failures, and make sure that all issues we run into are picked up by
> someone.

Yes, that's exactly the idea. Not to fix the build failures specifically, but
to make sure that there was someone on it and that the issue/resolution were
reported to the list.

Basically, the build engineer should make sure that the process around test
failures is respected.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx