Re: Reverse breadcrumbs in page titles

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 09:18 -0500, Deryck Hodge wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Deryck Hodge
> <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I realize it's trivial to override, so the question is more about our
> > preference for the site.  Do we really want reverse breadcrumbs on
> > almost every sub page?
> >

> As noted in my reply to Danilo, I chatted with Martin A. and Barry
> about the questions I have about this.
>
> To summarize my concerns, it's not that I have a problem with reverse
> breadcrumbs.  That is better than no title or a terrible, useless
> title.  The problem I have is that when you take the time to specify a
> human readable page_tile on the view, I don't think the view code
> should override that for reverse breadcrumbs.  This may plague bugs
> more than any other team, as we have "bug" in several steps of our
> breadcrumbs usually.
>
> I'm also being lazy and not wanting to go touch a bunch of view
> classes that we just converted to now have to specify
> override_title_breadcrumbs. :)
>
> Martin is flexible about the rule.  He just wants something as a nice
> default to better help page titles for placement in Google results and
> to get better page titles than we have now.  I proposed using
> page_title by default if specified and falling back to reverse
> breadcrumbs, assuming if the developer takes time to build a
> page_title then that is preferable.  Martin was okay with this.  I

For a long time we've required all our pages to define a title -- first
through pagetitles.py and now through a .page_title on the view.  For
each of them, a developer has taken time to build a title that is
tailored to that specific page, so I really don't understand why, all of
a sudden, we want a default page title.

> chatted with Barry about it.  He was concerned that this would
> conflict with the rule for Salgado's upcoming change, meaning that if
> you have page_title, you would never hit breadcrumbs, which would
> negate his work.  Barry proposed using label in place of page_title or
> +foo in the breadcrumbs, which would be a fallback if page_title
> wasn't specified.

My work's really nothing to do with that [1], and I don't quite like
using reverse breadcrumbs when all our pages (should) have a custom
tailored title already.

> But the work to do this is too much given all the tests that would
> have to be updated again.  I completely understand that and realize

That is true, but it wouldn't take more than 2 or 3 hours to fix all the
(around 170) tests that would fail.  I had to do that last Friday to
land my fix.

> it's less work on us bugs hackers to fix our spots.  However, like
> Barry, I can't get this work scheduled before the end of the week, so
> this will have to slip to next cycle.  So bugs will have to launch
> with some odd looking page titles in places, which probably isn't too
> huge a deal.
>
> Barry and I agreed, assuming others are okay with the idea, that we
> would like to revisit and settle the rule for the page title next
> month and then do the conversion work, if needed.

[1] I was fixing https://launchpad.net/bugs/423691 so that we didn't
have page names (e.g. +filebug) on breadcrumbs when we should have the
page's title.

--
Guilherme Salgado <salgado@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>