Re: Trouble getting ec2 demo instances started

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Graham Binns <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently trying to run an EC2 demo instance for a bug import, and
> keep getting the following problem when I try to start it:
>
>  $ utilities/ec2 demo --demo=0.0.0.0
>  ...snip...
>  root@i-992bfaf1$ chown -R graham:graham /var/www
>  root@i-992bfaf1$ chown -R graham:graham /var/launchpad
>  root@i-992bfaf1$ rm -fr /var/tmp/*
>  Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "lib/devscripts/ec2test/instance.py", line 287, in set_up_and_run
>      return func(*args, **kw)
>  TypeError: run_server() takes exactly 4 arguments (3 given)
>  Postmortem Console.  EC2 instance is not yet dead.
>  It will shut down when you exit this prompt (CTRL-D).
>
> Which means that nothing's actually up and running. I can go through and
> set everything up manually (which is what I'm doing now, using the demo
> running code as a crib sheet), but I'm confused as to why this is
> happening. Anyone have any bright ideas?

It's a bug in the recent refactoring that's been done to ec2test.
Without a test suite, things like this are bound to happen. Michael's
branch at lp:~mwhudson/launchpad/ami-from-scratch fixes this.

Alternatively, look it lib/devscripts/ec2test/builtins.py, find
cmd_demo, look for the 'run' method, and change the final line and add
the 'instance' parameter after 'runner'.

I don't know why the traceback is so lame.

jml