Re: Using identi.ca for Launchpad system status messages

2009/10/6 Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Right now, we have a page on the blog (/maintenance), a
>>> "notifications" category on the blog, the general Launchpad
>>> Twitter/identi.ca accounts, the launchpad-announce list.
>>>
>>> Anything that requires more explanation could still be posted to the
>>> notifications of the blog and anything that pretty much every LP user
>>> needs to know about should go out to the -announce list. I'm not sure
>>> what to do with the maintenance page, other than move it to the dev
>>> wiki; I think we could use it to list planned maintenance times, as we
>>> do now, but the identi.ca page should do that. The only advantage, I
>>> see, of retaining the maintenance page is that it allows us to show
>>> fairly far off into the future what's planned, whereas the identi.ca
>>> account would be a moving target.
>>
>> I think the maintenance page is fine as it is, it should just point to
>> the microblogging pages.
>>

> Really, the codebrowse error page should also point to this identica
> page. At the moment, it just says "Internal server error".

I've filed bug https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/loggerhead/+bug/444616
and will fix it.

>> It would be good to have links to there from the top of
>> help.launchpad.net and possibly even from the footer of every page.
>> (Why?  Because tweets are a good way to communicate about stuff
>> generally, and because if it's failing and help.l.n can't be reached,
>> people may still have a page showing the footer.)
>>

> I'm not 100% sure about that one. The benefits are as you say, the
> risk is that the footer will become cluttered and that having a
> permanent link to our operational status will make Launchpad.net seem
> more unreliable than it is. Perhaps these can be disregarded.

I don't think either of those suggested problems need concern us:
there's plenty of space in the footer and it's pretty common practice
for web-based services to link to a status page. If anything, it shows
we're comfortable in our stability as we're up-front about our status
page.

Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and use the separate accounts (i.e.
launchpadstatus) as I feel it's important to allow people to get just
the status info if that's what they want.

Thanks everyone for your input.

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting