Re: Build From Branch, or BFB

Hi Julian,

Thanks for writing this.

On Tue Oct 06 20:48:41 +0100 2009 Julian Edwards wrote:
>   * The button will create a job request to run `bzr builddeb` or equivalent.

The "or equivalent" here may need a little bit of discussion. I think I know
what that would look like, but it needs to meet LP and IS' requirements.

In my head it is bzr-builddeb without the bits that arbitrarily download
things from the net, and the "hooks" that run extra code. The former because
that's the rule for PPAs, and the latter because that can require extra
dependencies that we have no way of specifying and so installing. The problem
I see with this is that we will get lots of users confused because it
builds locally but not on LP.

>   * The finished source package will be uploaded to Soyuz as a regular source
>     upload, however since it won't be signed we need a new identification and
>     trust mechanism to identify the person who clicked the button as the
>     uploader.

This is certainly your domain, but I'm interested in what the "identification
and trust mechanism" would look like. There is something similar for binary
uploaders from the buildds I guess? How would this look different? Is it a
requirement for doing things like recording the uploaded in the source package
publishing record?

>> I've made no mention of any UI beyond the first point, as I'm not sure we need
>> anything else. M-BM- We can enhance the existing /builders page to give more
>> on waiting BFBs. M-BM- Can you think of any other UI changes we'd
>
> I think that we may want to preserve the information of where the
> package got built from, so there's a link to the source branch on the
> UI.

Yes please, preferably also recording the revision that was built.

Thanks,

James