Re: Call for Suggestions: Making it easier to start hacking on Launchpad

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 15:05:08 Stuart Bishop wrote:
> Write a fully scripted install that turns a minimally installed hardy or
>  karmic box into a Launchpad development environment.

+1

> Use this script to rebuild virtual machine images and ec2 images nightly.
>
> Publish them if they pass basic tests.
>
> Developers can download and boot the virtual machine. The ec2 tools can use
>  the new images.

I don't think this is that good.  The last time I made a VM image, by the time
it has all the dependencies installed it's *massive*.  Like 2-3 GiB massive.
That is not lowering the barrier for entry.

What might be better is to publish the script that sets up the VM image for
you, perhaps using vmbuilder (which is what I used).  If you also have a local
apt proxy it massively reduces what you need to download.