Re: Build From Branch, or BFB

On Wed Oct 07 15:11:45 +0100 2009 Julian Edwards wrote:
> Can you explain why this makes you uncomfortable?  It implies that you already
> have a problem with this for other LP operations maybe?  Can we do anything to
> help with this?

I do a little. Given that there is no review of new keys added to ~ubuntu-dev
members you could gain upload rights to Ubuntu by compromising either my
session, or by guessing by LP password. This increases the attack surface
compared to just securing a GPG key, which has established practices and
good education about the importance of doing so.

/me goes to change his LP password

> > Should we perhaps be looking at a different trigger mechanism, at least
> > for the distribution, such as an alternative .changes file format
> > that specifies the needed parts.
>
> From my point of view, the sheer convenience of doing these uploads from the
> web is going to be amazing.  I feel somewhat uncomfortable about doing
> something like this as IMO it communicates that we don't trust the LP
> authentication.

Well, perhaps we shouldn't, that's why I would like to have the
discussion.

As I said, LP does better at this than a lot of other sites, by e.g.
forcing SSL for all communication. However, I'm still nervous about switching
one well-established and well-understood mechanism for another that isn't
so well-established and well-understood in Ubuntu development.

> > This is perhaps being overly paranoid, given that all that stops you
> > from adding a new GPG to my account and uploading with that right
> > now is the cookie/password protection. Also, removing packages
> > from the distribution, and when/if copying packages to the distribution
> > from other archives is possible, they would have the same protection.
> > Even so, I would like to have a discussion with the usual suspects
> > about this (elmo, cjwatson, kees, etc.), perhaps at UDS?
>
> Yes, this would make a great UDS session.  Would you be able to set that up?

I can do that.

Thanks,

James