Re: [RFC] The right combination of breadcrumb and heading

On Oct 7, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Julian Edwards wrote:

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 13:41:40 Curtis Hovey wrote:
On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 14:21 +0200, Michael Nelson wrote:
Hi all,

Yet another breadcrumb/heading question :) Basically, which is better:

Option 1: low redundancy:

H1: Define upstream link
BC: Ubuntu >> 9.04 >> “mozilla-firefox” source package >> Define
upstream link

or

Option 2: redundancy and possibly google-fu (h1 being weighted?)

H1: Define upstream link for mozilla-firefox in Ubuntu Jaunty
BC: Ubuntu >> 9.04 >> “mozilla-firefox” source package >> Define
upstream link

I prefer option 1 because I think option 2 obscures the breadcrumb.

Me too, for the same reason. I've never liked pages that have this sort of H1
and BC combo, it feels like the page hasn't been thought out properly.

I can see benefits to both, but the brevity wins out, so I'd say I'm +0 on option 1.

-Barry