Re: Call for Suggestions: Making it easier to start hacking on Launchpad

On Wed Oct 07 17:59:22 +0100 2009 Graham Binns wrote:
> 2009/10/7 Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx>:
> > This might be a minority view, but personally I'm of the opinion that
> > getting a Launchpad dev instance up and running is sufficiently simple
> > and documented already.
>
> I'm inclined to agree. Are we not trying to use "easier" as a synonym
> for "less time consuming" here?

That's true to some extent. However, things don't always go according to
plan. There are so many moving parts that it's to easy for things to
go wrong, and when they do you are no longer on the documented path, but
off on your own. In addition to this, most LP developers are far beyond
this point, and so either have no experience of the things that can
go wrong, or have forgotten how they fixed it.

Some of this is due to LP being a large complex project, and some to
do with the fact that it has a lot of dependencies which there is
no great way to manage, but it is a far cry from

  bzr branch lp:launchpad
  cd launchpad
  make run

in my experience.