Re: Postgresql 8.4 lacks pg_autocacuum

Stuart Bishop wrote:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/426823 is
tracking PostgreSQL 8.4 support. The required changes to get database
setup and the test suite to work have landed on
lp:~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/db-devel and db-stable.

I don't recommend using PG 8.4 yet, as our test suite triggers bugs
relating to the serializable transaction isolation level we use in the
appserver (The bug has been identified and fixed in upstream CVS).

FWIW I did get LP set up and minimally running on 8.4 with my branch; the "make schema" fixes (including disabling autovacuum) turned out to be redundant with with Stuart was doing, but the changes to launchpad-database-setup are in devel now.

The hard part was making sure I really was running only one cluster. When the 8.4 install finds an existing 8.3 setup, it very modestly scooches over to port 5433. Make sure your 8.3 is completely gone (uninstalled, purged, and possibly the init script and cluster data manually removed) before setting up an 8.4 cluster for Launchpad.

Jeroen